Sunday, March 8, 2009
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Freezing time: Overnight
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups passionfruit pulp (yes it required many many passionfruit to achieve this ~ 25
+ extra to serve
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Juice of 1 lime
- 300g Double Cream
- 150g Pure Cream
1. In an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until pale and fluffy.
2. In the meantime put sugar, passionfruit pulp and vanilla essence in a small pot and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
3. Turn down the heat and simmer the passionfruit mixture for 10 minutes until thicker and slightly syrupy.
4. Add lime juice and passionfruit syrup to egg yolk mixture whilst beating continuously until mixture is cold.
5. Whisk creams together until soft peaks form and then fold into passionfruit mixture.
6. Line 2 rectangular cake tins (or one really long one) with glad wrap then pour mixture in and freeze overnight.
7. To serve, flip semifreddo onto a plate and drizzle with extra passionfruit pulp. Serve immediately.